HOT RECIPE ALERT! My proudest baking masterpiece to date! I call it my “I’ll be in the gym for the rest of my life” cake.
I made this for Easter dinner at my sister’s house. No we didn’t eat this for dinner but we may as well have. I loved seeing the look of pure terror followed by curiosity and then hunger as people looked at this 15 lb cake and were like… “What is this giant beast. Wait what’s under the layer of chocolate whip cream. Should I try it? My trainer will kill me. I just ran 6 miles today. All the more reason to have a taste though right? Okay they cut it and it’s a chocolate cake of sorts. Sammy took a bite. She looks real happy. Am I licking my lips and salivating in public right now? Okay let’s do it. WOW my taste buds have been awakened by the goddess Aphrodite herself! It’s the most delicious cake I’ve ever had in my life please let me eat the whole thing!”
That’s the internal monologue I’d like to imagine took place by our guests. 🙂
Nutella Chocolate Poke Cake
This recipe has been modified from the original recipe: “Life, Love and Sugar – Nutella Red Velvet Poke Cake“
Makes: 1 cake, cut into 24 pieces
Time to prepare: 20 min prep, 40 min bake time, 3 hrs (or overnight) to refrigerate
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 & 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 jar of Nutella
- 2 cups & 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Chocolate sauce for drizzling
- 1 box Ferrero Rocher, crushed into pieces
WHAT DO I DO?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9 inch baking pan.
- BOWL 1: Whisk vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, vinegar and vanilla.
- BOWL 2: Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda.
- Add BOWL 1 to BOWL 2 and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour cake into pan and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- POKE HOLES EVERYWHERE IN YOUR CAKE! I used the end of a chopstick.
- BOWL 3: Whisk sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup Nutella. You may have to whisk for a few minutes until the Nutella softens. Pour the mixture over the poked cake, and refrigerate for 2-3 hrs (or overnight) to let the cake soak up the Nutella milk glaze.
- BOWL 4: Whisk 1/2 cup Nutella and 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream. It will be thiiiick. Keep mixing, and set aside.
- Whip two cups of heavy whipping cream until it thickens. Add powdered sugar. Usually we whip until soft peaks form, but keep whipping until the cream gets really thick.
- Fold mixture of BOWL 4 to whipped cream. Spread evenly over cake.
- Top with chocolate sauce and crushed Ferrero Rocher pieces. Eat!