Happy Birthday to me!
For the last two weeks, I’ve had friends and family ask, “What are you going to do for your birthday this year?” And on and on I went about this genius birthday cake that I was going to bake. But this was no ordinary, grocery-store-bought-lookalike cake. It was going to be a magical WAFFLE cake. And my friends were on board for having a waffle-cake-making birthday party at my house.
Do you feel wiser? Do you feel older?
Look at this thing. Does it look like I feel wiser OR older?
Waffle Birthday Cake
Makes: ~20 waffles, easily feeds 10 people
Time to prepare: Depending on how drunk you get on your birthday, anywhere from 30 minutes to never-quite-finished
- 1 box of waffle mix
- Vegetable oil
- Toppings: Peanut butter, Nutella, Biscoff cookie butter, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, maple syrup, whip cream (chocolate and vanilla), ice cream, fresh cut strawberries
- Additional: Candles, placed in a delicate fashion per waffle
WHAT DO I DO?
- Have a birthday shot. Then have another.
- In a bowl, whisk vegetable oil and eggs. Add liquid mixture to a separate bowl containing the waffle mix, and whisk until everything is mashed together.
- Turn on waffle iron and grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Good job. Another birthday shot for you!
- In 1/4 cup scoops, make waffles, cooking for 2-3 minutes per waffle.
- With your friends, find the optimum stacking position. After experimenting, we determined that forming a solid base of three waffles and stacking in a pyramid fashion worked best.
- Top with sauce/syrup/sprinkles/whip cream/any and all good toppings.
- Have another shot.
- By this point you’re drunk, so have someone else set the candles up and light them.
- Sing Happy Birthday to yourself alongside your friends’ singing because, duh, you’re drunk.