Almost every week I have bananas that go rotten because I just don’t like the idea of eating a banana whole as a snack. I don’t know if it’s the texture or the taste, but I can’t bring myself to say, “I’m hella craving a banana today.”
Which is odd because I will crave anything banana flavoured. I feel like I’m Bubba from Forrest Gump when I talk about all the banana things you could make: banana cupcakes, banana ice cream, banana peanut butter oatmeal, banana chocolate smoothie, dried banana slices, banana white chocolate bark, banana pudding, banana triffle cake…
Which brings me to one of my favourite banana recipes: Banana Bread Cake. I’ve tinkered with about 5 different banana bread recipes over the years and made at least 10 banana bread cakes. Some were too thick and dense, some were too spongy and rubbery, some didn’t have enough banana flavour… But then I found the winner with this recipe!! Each slice is thick, moist, very banana flavoured, and best of all, a healthier alternative!
Seriously, someone stop me, I’ve already had 3 slices and show no signs of slowing down.
Moist Applesauce Banana Bread Cake
Makes: 1 cake
Time to prepare: 10 minutes prep, 45 minutes baking
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 medium sized bananas
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp organic honey
- 2 cups flour
WHAT DO I DO?
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 inch baking pan.
- Whisk melted butter, unsweetened applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- Mash bananas and add to the mixture. Whisk in egg whites and honey.
- Add flour and mix until incorporated.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!